Peace – and True National Security
- I favor – and have repeatedly called for – the swift and safe withdrawal of U.S. troops from Iraq and Afghanistan.
- As national co-chair of the Healthcare Not Warfare campaign (along with Congressman John Conyers and Donna Smith of the California Nurses Association), I support significant cuts in unnecessary military spending – with commensurate increases in funding for healthcare, education and other human needs.
- Our nation’s bloated military budget has little to do with genuine “defense” and much to do with the lobbying power of what President Dwight Eisenhower called “the military-industrial complex.” I am a strong opponent of policies that amount to perpetual war.
- We need to redefine “national security.” Our nation is not secure when our schools are woefully underfunded and our roads and infrastructure are crumbling beneath us.
- True security of our country depends on a healthy economy, environmental protection, public education, quality healthcare and other indicators of a society that cares for all of its people.
- Real national security involves shifting much of our perpetual military spending to programs that create sustainable jobs, expand education and opportunity, and rebuild our economy and our communities.
- U.S. foreign policy should adhere to a single standard of human rights in the Middle East and elsewhere in the world – and not base those standards on shortsighted geopolitical strategy.
- I support a two-state solution to the conflict between Israel and Palestinians, with genuine security for all.
- We should partner with genuine, homegrown human rights and anti-poverty movements in the Middle East that advance democracy and economic opportunity. I am opposed to any more pre-emptive invasions and attacks that cause enormous human suffering while further inflaming anti-U.S. sentiment.
- The United States should fully abide by the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty, moving toward a world free of nuclear weapons. (See statement included in Council for a Livable World endorsement.)