Rebuilding Public Education
The federal government continues to underfund education, contributing to increased class sizes, cuts in vital student programs and a shortened school year. The federal government’s neglect of our public schools is unacceptable. In Congress, I will fight to renew our national commitment to public education, and to restore quality and faith in our public education system.
- No Child Left Behind has failed our children, and Race to the Top is doing more to undermine our public schools than to help them. The federal government should not be promoting overdone “teach to the test” models that steamroll local autonomy and teacher flexibility.
- I support nationwide universal access to pre-school and full funding for the highly successful Head Start program.
- The federal government continues to underfund K-12 education. I will fight to make quality education a priority in the federal budget.
- Federal mandates for local school districts must be coupled with federal funding to meet those obligations. For instance, when school districts are required to provide costly (but essential) special education, the federal government must come through with promised funding for those districts.
- While public schools must improve, we should not blame schools and teachers for factors that are beyond their control, such as poverty, poor nutrition, violence in the community, insufficient health care and inadequate housing.
- I support the DREAM Act.
- I will fight to roll back all cuts to Pell Grants, which in turn contribute to college and university cuts, seriously jeopardizing access to quality education. We should increase federal support for college students. I support strengthening public student grant and loan programs to ensure they serve students in need.
- I support regulating the private college industry to prevent deceptive recruitment policies and practices.
- The federal government continues to underfund college and university education, limiting students' access to a quality education. I will fight to make quality education a priority in the federal budget.