Equality and Opportunity for All
- The United States should provide veterans with the care and support they have earned.
- It is unacceptable that many of our veterans find themselves homeless and on the streets after they’ve completed their military service.
- Veterans should be able to count on quality medical care and educational opportunities at all times, not just when it is politically popular for Congress to pass such laws. In Congress, my commitment to veterans will be strong and unwavering. Discrimination against veterans in any form is completely unacceptable. The federal government has a responsibility to make sure that the rights of veterans are fully upheld.
- I support reform of our broken immigration system. Immigrants made, and continue to make, America the richly diverse nation it is. Instead of pitting immigrants and American workers against each other, we should expand educational and employment opportunities for all.
- I support the DREAM Act, which provides a pathway to citizenship for immigrants who choose to study in the United States or serve in the U.S. armed forces.
- Too often, ICE (Immigration and Customs Enforcement) actions have intruded on local law enforcement roles, abused civil liberties and undermined human rights. ICE should not be used to score political points by Washington politicians.
- As we move forward with new policies, I believe that the economic factors motivating undocumented immigration – including NAFTA and other trade pacts that have exacerbated poverty, forced urbanization and increased migration in Mexico and other countries – must be acknowledged and addressed by our policymakers.
- I support a woman’s right to choose. Abortion rights, enshrined in Roe vs. Wade, must be defended at all levels of government.
- I firmly oppose all efforts to curtail a woman’s rights to make decisions about her own body.
- A woman’s right to choose must include the right to raise children with adequate healthcare, education, nutrition and housing.
- I support federal action, support and enforcement to ensure free access to contraception and other reproductive health services.
- I believe that all Americans should be accorded equal rights, regardless of their sexual orientation or gender identity.
- I applaud President Obama for ending "Don’t Ask Don’t Tell," a discriminatory policy that banned gays from serving openly in the armed forces.
- I support the right to marry for all consenting adults. The so-called Defense of Marriage Act should be repealed.
- I strongly support passage of an inclusive Employment Non-Discrimination Act to prohibit discrimination against gay, lesbian, and transgender workers.
- Civil liberties are at the core of American society. I believe the federal government can protect its citizens without undermining the Constitution and human rights.
- I will continue to speak out against the undermining of habeas corpus that has been a reality under the last two administrations.
- Torture is never acceptable. By extension, we should never extradite prisoners to countries known to have policies that do not meet this basic standard of human decency.
- I have publicly criticized the Obama administration for failing to keep its promise to close Guantanamo Bay prison and try those prisoners in the U.S. criminal justice system. I will continue to take a strong position on this issue.
- I support legalization of marijuana use for adults. The federal government should remove marijuana from Schedule I, a classification intended for only the most dangerous drugs.
- State and local governments should have the authority to regulate and tax marijuana. I will fight to stop federal threats against jurisdictions that implement innovative and reasonable permitting policies.
- I will defend the right of patients to safely access cannabis for medical needs. Limited federal funds should not be used to raid legitimate collectives and cooperatives.
- Just as with alcohol in the 1920s, the prohibition of marijuana has created a black market rife with organized crime and other harmful consequences. The cultivation of marijuana on state and federal lands and in dangerous, poorly-wired “grow houses” is unacceptable. In addition to legalization, I support targeted enforcement for public safety and environmental protection.
- I support the legalization of industrial hemp to create new businesses and jobs in industries ranging from paper and textiles to fashion and food.